Sexual Orientation Harassment in Minnesota
Being harassed because of your sexual orientation in your workplace is a form of gay and lesbian discrimination and creates a hostile work environment. As a gay man or lesbian woman, you should not have to tolerate inappropriate behavior such as:
- Offensive jokes and sexual slurs
- Inappropriate sexual advances or comments from a co-worker, supervisor or employer claiming the opposite sex is “better”
- Offensive and denigrating images in the work environment
- Vandalism of property, including offensive graffiti
- Threatening behavior and physical or sexual assault
At Villaume & Schiek, P.A., our attorneys are committed to the truth and to protecting the rights of employees who are suffering sexual orientation harassment in their Minnesota workplaces. You should not suffer because of the gender you are attracted to and who you love. We fight for your rights and protect your interests.
Singled Out Because of Your Sexual Orientation? Here’s What You Do.
You will have to show that your employer or co-workers are singling you out because of your sexual orientation. You have many options available, including:
- Speaking to the harasser(s) and making it clear that you find this behavior unacceptable
- Informing your company’s human resources department of the harassment and why you believe it is happening
- Informing your supervisor or your supervisor’s superior of the harassment
We also encourage you to document incidents of the inappropriate or offensive behavior and to talk with other co-workers who may have witnessed the harassment.
We represent gays and lesbians in a wide variety of industries and workplaces who are facing harassment regarding their sexual orientation. Our lawyers will carefully assess the details of the situation and vigorously advocate for your rights.
If You’ve Been Mistreated Because of Your Sexual Orientation, Call Us.
To arrange a free initial consultation to discuss your work situation and the sexual orientation harassment you are experiencing, please contact our Bloomington-based lawyers today at (952) 851-9500.