Racial Harassment in Minnesota
Any negative or derogatory actions directed at a person because of his or her race may be considered racial harassment if the individual feels that these actions are “unwelcome,” meaning that person finds them offensive or they make the individual uncomfortable.
While many people are happy to “play along” with comments made by co-workers or employers, if you feel that you are being singled out because of your race, you may be experiencing racial harassment.
Racial harassment is a form of racial discrimination, and instances may include:
- Inappropriate racial jokes or slurs
- Starting rumors about your personal life, threats, or other inappropriate written or verbal conduct
- Pictures or images that demean a person of a specific race, such as swastikas, nooses or anything else that is known to have racial significance
- Physical conduct that singles you out and makes you feel uncomfortable or threatened, such as inappropriate touch, blocking your movement or physical or sexual assault
At Villaume & Schiek, P.A., our attorneys are committed to the truth and to protecting the rights of employees who are suffering racial harassment in their Minnesota workplaces. You have the right to work in a nonhostile environment. We fight for your rights and protect your interests.
Think You Might Be Facing Racial Harrassment? Here’s What You Do.
The burden of proof is on you to show that your employer or co-workers are singling you out because of your race. You have many options available, including:
- Confronting the harasser directly, making it clear that you find his or her behavior unacceptable
- Informing your company’s human resources department of the behavior
- Informing your supervisor or your supervisor’s superior of the behavior
We also encourage you to document incidents of the behavior and to talk with other co-workers who may have witnessed the harassment.
We help you find legal solutions to resolving the conflicts and ending the harassment so you can continue to work in a comfortable environment.
Need to Talk With Someone About Racial Harrassment? Call Us. It’s Free.
To arrange a free initial consultation to discuss your work situation and the racial harassment you are experiencing, please contact our Bloomington-based lawyers today at (952) 851-9500.