Minnesota Disability Discrimination Lawyers
At Villaume & Schiek, P.A., of Bloomington, Minnesota, we advocate on behalf of disabled individuals in the workplace who are facing discrimination because of the disability or disease. We understand the obstacles this provides, and our lawyers are committed to fighting to see the disabled employee’s rights are protected.
When it Comes to Disability, You Have Rights
Disability discrimination is generally evidenced when an employer:
- Does not allow a disabled individual to do his or her job, believing that the employee cannot do the job, even though he or she is qualified and able.
- Does not make reasonable accommodations for the disabled employee
- Treats the employee differently than other workers based on the disability, particularly after learning of a diagnosis.
- Asks for medical records of one particularly person prior to a decision on employment
- Refuses to hire an individual before allowing that worker to prove that he or she is able or unable to perform the job
The American Disabilities Act was created to protect individuals with a disability or impairment that disrupts one or more major life activities and could cause the individual to be treated differently in employment matters.
In addition to physical limitations such as paralysis or temporary injury, this often includes diseases like cancer or multiple sclerosis. It can also affect psychological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, depression, mental illness, autism, Asperger’s syndrome, stress-related disorders, postpartum depression or PTSD. It is not uncommon for an employer to find out about the condition and develop discriminating behaviors toward that employee.
Experienced Minnesota Disability Criminal Attorneys
If you have been discriminated against at work, our disability discrimination attorneys are prepared to help. To arrange a consultation to discuss the situation with skilled legal guidance, please call our law firm today at (952) 851-9500.